I was asked by a friend whose mother is very sick as to how to prepare for a death?
One can never be prepared because of the emotional toll. Here is what I found to be useful and this can be delegated to family and community members if available:
- Make sure that the sick person has a will.
- Ask them if they have any special requests about their burial etc.
- Make sure you have their power of attorney to manage their financial affairs as all accounts etc. get frozen when one dies.
- Make sure if there is a safe deposit boxes that you have access.
- Ask the ill person if they have any specific wishes (follow only the halal wishes, inform them that you can only do so)
- Recite a lot of Quran especially Yaseen
- Ask the ill person if they have any debts and how much and to whom (that is the first thing to do is to clear the debt as it is never forgiven.
- Have a Muslim funeral home standby (inspect and talk to the people there)
- Ask about the Muslim burial
10. Buy gravesites for the family if you haven’t done that already.
11. Talk to your local Imam about Kaffan and burial
12. Ask who knows how to do Ghusl for a female,
13. Learn the ghusl yourself and teach your sisters
14. Submit to the Qadaa wal Qadar knowing that everyone who is born has to die one day and that we cannot postpone that date.
Hope this helps
Here is what a Momin goes through according to the hadith of Prophet Muhammad pbuh, may all be included in this journey:
Here is more on the concept of death in Islam: CLICK HERE