Except from a course on RIYADH US SALIHEEN at Qibla.com taught by Sheikh Nuh Keller
The past is locked except for those who carefully pursue and ferret out the reports that have been carefully handed down without change from Prophet Muhammad pbuh he says this is my way ………..Allah guided him (PBUH) to say this He said follow me and whoever follows me. (Junaid RA)
WHICH SINS DO WE REPENT FOR?It is permissible and valid to make proper to repentance from all your previous sins, if you are sincere then it fulfills the obligatory repentance from every sin even if you do not remember it.
In summary we have to repent from ALL SINS Sagheera (small ) and Kabeerah (heinous) ones you remember and also those that you may have forgotten.
DOES THE SIN AFFECT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH ALLAH ONLY OR IS ANOTHER PERSON AFFECTED?
If you did a sin and it is between you and Allah and that did not affect others then there are three conditions to be a valid repentance:
1. Cease and desist from the act of disobedience
2. Repent from ever having done it
3. Make up your mind and decide once and for all that you will never do it again.
If any of these three conditions are missing then repentance is not valid.
IF ANOTHER PERSON IS AFFECTED:
If the act of disobedience is connected with the rights of another human being:
All of the above three conditions apply plus one more
4. One has to be exonerated or to be free of blame from despoiling the right of the person from whom the right was taken.
- If property is taken it needs to be returned (hot goods need to be returned)
- If you do an enormity e.g. if your accuse someone of fornication and you do not have four eyewitnesses, then your are guilty of kazab. Then you go to the person and say that you are to be scourged (in a Muslim rule) or you ask that person to forgive and forget
- If you did ghaibah (something said behind their back that they would resent) if the person knows it then it is obligatory to go to that person and ask for forgiveness, unless you expect body harm from that person and/or if it has not reached them then ask Allah to forgive you.
IS TAUBAH OBLIGATORY?
It is obligatory to make taubah from all sins. If one makes taubah from some sins but not all, then you have to answer to Allah SWT on the Day of Judgment.
End of this section of the the Chapter on Taubah in Riyadh us Saliheen