ACTIONS FROM CHAPTER ONE: SINCERITY
Notes from the Riyadh us Saliheen in the course on Qibla.com by Sheikh Nuh Keller
To understand the actions mentioned below read the hadiths from the chapter by CLICKING HERE…
- Make intention to:
- Fulfill why we were created: Uboodiya and embodiment of the perfect character of Prophet Muhammad pbuh
- Be specific regarding your intention:
i. For whose sake? If it is for the sake of Allah or for something else.
ii. For which act? For what act is it? (Fard Salah versus Sunnah etc.)
- WATCH THE COMPANY WE KEEP as we may be punished with them with the same punishment as them:
Types of Company we can keep:
- Company is physical company
- Company may be social media friends
- Company may be what we may read and hear (check if it is disobedient to Allah)
Thus watch who we spend time with as we may be punished with the same punishment that they will be punished.
This is a warning to us:
“He who sleeps with the dogs wakes up with the fleas”
- PURIFY YOUR INTENTION BY PURIFYING YOUR HEART How to have a pure heart?
To avoid what Allah has prohibited. (Hadith 4 the ones who could not go to the battle of Tabuk because of illness but genuinely wanted to)
- WHAT IS GIVEN DO NOT TAKE BACK, & DO NOT RETURN TO WHAT YOU HAVE FORSAKEN FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH
If you have given something as sadaqa you should not take it back.
Do not return to something you have left for the sake of Allah. Do not take back what you have given for the sake of Allah.
V. THERE HAS TO BE A NIYYAH FOR TRAVEL
There has to be a niyyah for travel. There is no travel without an objective, which are:
- Leaving ones home for the purpose of Jihad fi sabillallah (for the sake of Allah)
- To seek sacred knowledge for the sake of Allah
- 3. To leave to go somewhere else (to another land if ones Deen is being threatened.
If someone makes an intention for the sake of Allah to be there (his destination in travel) Allah rewards him
VI . HAVE A PURE HEART
.Jabir bin Abdullah Al-Ansari (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: We accompanied the Prophet (PBUH) in an expedition when he said, “There are some men in Al-Madinah who are with you wherever you march and whichever valley you cross. They have not joined you in person because of their illness.” In another version he said: “They share the reward with you.”
A. jabir said that Prophet Muhammad pbuh said that they are all with you except those who are sick and those who are not here and have niyyah to be here and Allah will reward him as he does you. (As if they were here with you)
That is why it is important to have a pure heart.
ACTION: How does one get such a heart? By avoiding what Allah has prohibited. This is the most important thing.
The righteous and profligate do the same acts (photo-op in front of the Kaaba) but no body shuns all acts of sin inwardly and outside except those who are of the Awliya, the Sidiq.
- VII. ALLAH LOOKS AT YOUR HEART
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) narrated: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, “Allah does not look at your figures, nor at your attire but He looks at your hearts and accomplishments”. [Muslim].
Allah looks at the hearts, thus purify your heart (Tazkiya)
VIII. UNDERSTAND THE REASONS FOR FIGHTING AND DESIST IN ALL EXCEPT THAT WHICH IS FI SABILLALLAH
Three reasons to fight:
- Whoever fights in order that the world of Allah (religion of Islam) is paramount, this is the one who is in the path of Allah
- One who fights for the glory of his tribe
- One who fights to show that he is a great warrior.
- IX. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HEIRS IN EXTREME LUXURY NOR IN POVERTY AFTER YOU DIE:
To leave your heirs well off is superior to leaving them in poverty and begging out of hand.
X. WHAT TO REMEMBER WHEN YOU MAY BE ASKED OR CONTEMPLATE KILLING ANOTHER MUSLIM:
When two Muslims are in combat both are deemed to Hell as both wanted to kill each other.
Both the killer and the killed are in the FIRE
The killer because he killed another Muslim and The killed because he was avid to kill his opponent.
XI. Salah as a group is superior to Salah alone.
The prayer of a man in a group is superior to a prayer in a home or marketplace by 23-30 times. Of 20 times the magnitude.
- Salah in the masjid is superior than one at home or in the marketplace When one does a an ablution well (without skipping any parts) and then comes to masjid to pray Salah and nothing else, Allah raises him in degree of a whole magnitude with every step and the sins that he committed falls with every step that he takes to the masjid until he enters the masjid.
- XII. WHAT ONE DOES IN THE MASJED DETERMINES THE EXTENT OF THE MERCY OF ALLAH VIA THE ANGELS
As long as He is praying as long as he is in the masjid and not doing other stuff, even when he is waiting for the salah the angels pray for him as long as he stays in the spot where he is praying and does not trouble others, and keeps his wudu.
The angels pray for him: ‘O Allah! Have mercy on him; O Allah! Forgive his sins; O Allah relent towards him.
XIII. THE REWARD OR PUNISHMENT OF GOOD DEEDS AND BAD DEEDS ARE BASED ON INTENTION:
Allah instructs the angels how and when to write down the good and bad deeds.
Good deeds: Whoever intends (resolves) to do a good deed but does not actually end up doing it. Allah inscribes it as a completed good deed (went to the mosque but could not enter, no key Allah inscribes it as if he did).
If he intends it and does it: Allah proscribes it 10 times till 700 times. This has to do with the purity of the heart, and attachment to the Divine and the degree of slave hood to Allah.
The 10-700 is dependent on the state of the heart.
Thus we should not judge by external actions.
Bad deed: If he resolves to do a bad deed but gives up and does not do it, Allah inscribes it as a good deed. If he carries out the bad deed one bad deed is written by Allah.
- XiV. ACTION: Supplicate Allah through your good works.
DUA: Allah gives us the hearts that we begin changing our self.
Ask Allah to change the hearts, all is possible for Him. SO ASK!