TAFSEER EXCERPTED FROM DR. FARHAT HASHMI:
- It is the strongest and the weakest structure: Each strand is very strong, but the web can be wiped away with a swish of the hand. If grabbed on to for support it sticks to you instead of giving support.
- It provides no protection to the inhabitants.
- It is a space designed for entrapment by the predatory occupant of this house
- The inhabitants of the House: The female spider after mating kills her mate
- The children of the female spider kill it or expel their mother on maturing.
Allah gives the example of the House of the Spider and warns the believers of the flimsiness of relying on any other than Allah being similar to relying on the House of the Spider to give one protection:
The example of those who take allies other than Allah is like that of the spider who takes a home. And indeed, the weakest of homes is the home of the spider, if they only knew.
The final message of this surah is summarized in the last ayah:
وَالَّذِينَ جَاهَدُوا فِينَا لَنَهْدِيَنَّهُمْ سُبُلَنَا ۚ وَإِنَّ اللَّـهَ لَمَعَ الْمُحْسِنِينَ ﴿٦٩
And those who strive for Us – We will surely guide them to Our ways. And indeed, Allah is with the doers of good.
Mohsineen, which is the plural of Mohsin, is a rich word with an inner, deeper meaning than what is given above.
Mohsin is one who goes beyond giving the normal rights of the other person but exceeds in giving more than the rights that the other person has over him or her.
ARE YOU A MOHSIN?