I am sad………………… it is July. In addition the statement made by the Muslims with their feet and their wallets is de-energizing.
I live in a small town. When attending the mosque it seems there are very few Muslims in town, but then………one sees a hijabi girl, enjoying a meal with non Muslim friends in a Desi restaurant, someone who is rarely if ever seen in the mosque, and you wonder how many more of her are there in the community.
It then makes me think………there are a lot of Muslims in this town, perhaps they don’t have time to attend the mosque except in Ramadan and I don’t give it another thought.
Nothing has brought to fore the “entitlement mentality” of the Muslims than their behavior towards learning the Quran and the language of the Quran.
Allah Subhanawataala has blessed our community with an outstanding Arabic Professor. He is stranded in this little town for a while. He offered to teach Arabic of the Quran to everyone in the mosque, free of charge, and did so for a year, a total of seven women and no men joined his class.
Sometimes he would be sitting outside the mosque (he does not have the key) waiting for the students to come and they would fail to do so.
Finally after a year of teaching five women he decided to try a new experiment in the summer.
Thus the new course teaching the language of the Quran and Jannah began under the name of “Arabic for Americans”.
Tuition was slashed to a ridiculously low sum, the venue was gorgeous and the time was suited to students and working men and women.
The course was advertised across all Muslim businesses, and the mosque as well as libraries.
The course is in its third experimental month and several facts have emerged:
- The majority of Muslims do not want to spend time and money learning the language of the Quran & jannah.
- Many Muslims consider it their right to be taught free of charge, whereas they dole out huge amounts of tuition for their children to go to oriental courses run by Indians (non native english speakers) on math and science and English language to give their children an edge in their middle and high school classes.
- The majority of Muslims are not punctual, even for the classes they have paid for.
- The majority of the Muslim men shy away from learning new things even if they have to do with improving their Deen.
- The most avid learners are students who are New to the faith.
- Most Muslims expect to be passed on to the next academic level whether they know the subject or not
- Most Muslims are sloppy about their homework.
- Many Muslims are content with learning few words of the Quran so that they don’t fall asleep in Taraweh.
- Most Muslims do not respect their Arabic and Quran teachers nor do they accord them the courtesy they accord to teachers of other disciplines.
10. Most Muslims backbite about those who do attend, teach and or have organized this course.
The bottom line is the extreme disrespect to the Quran (the word, language and message of Allah) demonstrated with action by the Muslims of this little town. The blessing offered by Allah by providing a qualified teacher in the boondocks is a test from Him (Subhanawataala) to check the level of interest in the muslims of this town in His word.
Thus deliberately refusing this naimah provided by Him (Subhanawataala ) in the form of a qualified teacher for the language of the Quran is a vote with hands, feet and wallet towards assigning the lowest priority to the Word of Allah.
Thus when privileged muslims especially in this little town deliberately turn down by ignoring the naimah (blessing) offered in the opportunity to learn the communication from Allah first hand then it most certainly, outweighs the disrespect shown to Prophet Muhammad pbuh in the Danish cartoons.
Thus the program “Arabic for Americans” is dying of attrition. It seems the only Americans native or naturalized who want to learn Arabic are those who want to spy on the Arabs, and for them there are intensive classes free of charge with the State Department.
As for the rest of the Muslims desirous of learning the word of the Quran…………the time and opportunity may be ending. It may be that the awesome Professor who was stranded in this little town may be moving on, thus Allah Subhanawataala may be depriving the Muslims of this town of His word because they have ignored the opportunities He has placed in front of them.
Meanwhile the “ entitlement “ mentality of the Muslims when it come to Ilm of Deen is something that resembles those on welfare in this country, and like those on welfare they too may never amount to anything of significance in this world or in the Hereafter.
What are your observations in your town?
Allah knows best!