Usually people tell me that in order to prepare myself for Ramadan, I must cook ahead of time, I must rearrange my sleep schedule, and make sure I have enough food on hand to open the fast etc, etc, etc.
The part that no one tells me is how to be fit for Ramadan, and I do not mean physically.
In my experience by trial and error, it is what I have to avoid that is more important for my fitness during Ramadan rather than what I have to do.
1. I must avoid wasting time on surfing the TV channels.
2. I must clear my schedule for my fard prayers and extra ibadah
3. I must apply for leave for the last ten days to sit for itikaaf.
4. I must collect authentic books, CDs, tapes, online programs to listen to during itikaaf.
5. I must cut out all social life and leave the absolute bare essentials.
6. I must get all my laundry and ironing done, because the last thing I want to face is no fresh clothes to wear for taraweh.
7. I must have a taraweh buddy or I will lose steam and end up not going to the mosque for taraweh.
8. I must avoid all invitations for dinner/iftar etc on Fridays and concentrate on ibadah on that blessed day.
9. I must avoid company that will take me to the movies to avoid the heat or kill time.
10. I must find company that will encourage me to push the envelope in my efforts for ibadah…………
Add your own here: