When Moses (AS) called his people to the message of Allah, No one answered his call except for some young people.
Tafseer by Dr. Farhat Hashmi: (10:85-86 only)
Allah SWT relates their answer to Moses (AS)
This is a potent supplication for the Oppressed:
فَقَالُواْ عَلَى ٱللَّهِ تَوَكَّلۡنَا رَبَّنَا لَا تَجۡعَلۡنَا فِتۡنَةً۬ لِّلۡقَوۡمِ ٱلظَّـٰلِمِينَ (٨٥) وَنَجِّنَا بِرَحۡمَتِكَ مِنَ ٱلۡقَوۡمِ ٱلۡكَـٰفِرِينَ (٨٦)
YUSUFALI: They said: “In Allah do we put out trust. Our Lord! make us not a trial for those who practise oppression;
YUSUFALI: “And deliver us by Thy Mercy from those who reject (Thee).”
They (The people of Moses) replied we do Tawakkul on Allah and made this dua:
O our Rabb, Do not make us a fitna (a target practice) for the Dhalim people, and release us with Your mercy from the people of Kufr.
Thus they (The people of Moses) first did tawakul (Placing trust in Allah, resulting in inner strengthening of emaan in doing what is right) and then made supplication (dua,) and after that left the consequences to Allah Subhanawataala. Thus, the sequence for a Muslim is: endeavor, emaan, tawakul and dua and then knowing that the consequences are with Allah, and those we leave to Him.
They also made dua:
O Allah do not allow the Dhalim (Opressor) to make us the target for his dhulm (Opression)
The Pharaoh, was a Dhalim, and thus the prayer from the people of Moses “ to be released from becoming a target of the Dhalim and for Allah Subhanawataala’s mercy”
Sometimes when Muslims become the target of Dhulm, (as has happened in the past, in the times of Prophet Muhammad pbuh) they also ask not to become the target of kaafirs as by the success of the Dhalim (oppressor) of his Dhulm (oppression) on the Muslim may empower him and thus may increase the kufr of the Kaafirs.
Do not make us (the Muslims) a test (target) for the Dhalims, if we lose then this will further empower the Dhalims.
HOW TO PLAN AN ACTION?
The chain of events before any action is carried out by a Muslim (i.e. one who declares that Allah is One and that He is the one who has power over us and the entire worlds) is as follows:
1. Prepare to the best of ones abilities all the means, and qualifications to carry out the action needed.
2. Do Tawakul: put our complete and sincere trust in Allah as to the outcome of our actions
3. Make supplication for His mercy, to ward off evil, and to help us in our endeavor, (as long as it is an action in the path of Allah and His Deen)
4. Know that the consequences lie in the Divine Decree that Allah Subhanawataala has made for us and as per his promise in the Quran, He only enjoins what is good for us. Even though it may not be immediately apparent to us in the eyes of this dunya.
5. If the consequences are not what we desired, not to blame its failure on the aspects of Deen that we follow (wearing hijab/beard etc), but to know that either: I did not prepare adequately for it (thus make an effort to improve qualifications) or it was not meant to be for me (Divine Decree).
6. If the consequences are not what I expected then I do not blame my Deen or its expression of it in myself as a reason for failure. For by doing so I may put off or weaken others in the practice of the Deen.
My act of blaming my failure on some aspect of the Deen that I practice may deter people from being attracted to the message of Allah.
I would thus end up doing a great disservice to people by robbing them of the opportunity of knowing the beauty, security and peace in Allah’s message in the Deen of Islam.