قُل هَل تَرَبَّصُونَ بِنَآ إِلَّآ إِحدَى ٱلحُسنَيَينِ وَنَحنُ نَتَرَبَّصُ بِكُم أَن يُصِيبَكُمُ ٱللَّهُ بِعَذَابٍ مِّن عِندِهِ أَو بِأَيدِينَا فَتَرَبَّصُوٓاْ إِنَّا مَعَم مُّتَرَبِّصُونَ (٥٢) قُل أَنفِقُواْ طَوعًا أَو كَرهًا
لَّن يُتَقَبَّلَ مِنكُم إِنَّكُم نتُم قَومًا فَـسِقِينَ (٥٣) وَمَا مَنَعَهُم أَن تُقبَلَ مِنہُم نَفَقَتُهُم إِلَّآ أَنَّهُم فَرُواْ بِٱللَّهِ وَبِرَسُولِهِ وَلَا يَأتُونَ ٱلصَّلَوةَ إِلَّا وَهُم سَالَى وَلَا يُنفِقُونَ إِلَّا وَهُمكَـرِهُونَ (٥٤) فَلَا تُعجِبكَ أَموَلُهُم وَلَآ أَولَـدُهُم إِنَّمَا يُرِيدُ ٱللَّهُ لِيُعَذِّبَہُم بِہَا فِى ٱلحَيَوةِ ٱلدُّنيَا وَتَزهَقَ أَنفُسُہُم وَهُم كَـفِرُونَ (٥٥)
Say: Can ye await for us aught save one of two good things (death or victory in Allah’s way)? while we await for you that Allah will afflict you with a doom from Him or at our hands. Await then! Lo! We are awaiting with you. (52)
Say: Pay (your contribution), willingly or unwillingly, it will not be accepted from you. Lo! ye were ever forward folk. (53)
And naught preventeth that their contributions should be accepted from them save that they have disbelieved in Allah and in His messenger, and they come not to worship save as idlers, and pay not (their contribution) save reluctantly. (54)
So let not their riches nor their children astonish thee (O Muhammad). Allah thereby intendeth but to punish them in the life of the world and that their souls shall pass away while they are disbelievers. (55)
There were two kinds of people who did not answer the call of jihad against the Romans and some of these two were hypocrites, i.e. for appearances sake they declared that they were Muslims when they were Muslims, but their behavior was contradictory to that of a Muslim.
Allah Subhanawataala defines them in these ayahs to warn Prophet Muhammad PBUH and to reassure him that he (PBUH) is better off without their help
Tafseer from Dr. Farhat Hashmi
Here are some behavioral clues for identifying hypocrites:
1. They do not want to join you to help you (addressed to Prophet Muhammad pbuh)
2. They run away fast and do not look back
3. They are cowards, and want to hide in places where their defective character and behavior can be hidden from everyone
4. They are afraid of other people’s opinion, and are overtly pretending to be Muslims because it was fiscally advantageous for them to be with the Muslims and at least superficially show support to them.
5. The people of fasiqeen (Munafiqeen) whether they spend happily (to show off) or reluctantly (to remain in the good books of Muslims) in the way of Islam, their contribution will not be accepted, because they are from a people who are disobedient Maida ayah 27 Allah only accepts sadaqa from Mutaqqi people.
6. Lesson: when one contributes something in the way of Allah it must be done with emaan and preface it by abstaining from the disobediences of Allah.
7. The obstacle to the acceptance of their sadaqa is that in their hearts they deny Allah and his Rasool (PBUH)
8. They do not make salaat, and they are lazy about these acts of worship, they do not “feel like” making salaat, Baqara 45: about salaat
9. They do not like to spend in the way of Allah
In order to have our good acts accepted by Allah there are certain, we must recognize the obstacles that stand in the way of acceptance of our good deeds:
1. Lack of Emaan
2. Laziness in salaat
3. Hesitation in zakaat
4. Since One good work facilitates another, a scenario of disobedience of Allah takes away from the good work
5. A heart which does not have a desire to please Allah or is stingy with his love of Allah
Warning the Muslims about the behavior of the Hypocrites:
1. Do not be happy when you see their affluence and children
2. Their children and their riches can become a calamity/fitna for them
3. Allah gives them Azaab to the hypocrites in this world, by making the very things that they yearn for and collect carefully such as their riches and their children a burden to them that drains them and brings them unhappiness. For example sometimes the very business that brings them riches takes toll of their health and time. Children who have been well educated and successful from the dunya viewpoint, on becoming independent these very children ignore their parents, and become a source of pain for them
4. Their lives will end with pain and agony from the very things they collected in lieu of obedience to Allah Subhanawataala
Allah knows best