007.026 YUSUFALI: O ye Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness,- that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition!
يَـٰبَنِىٓ ءَادَمَ قَدۡ أَنزَلۡنَا عَلَيۡكُمۡ لِبَاسً۬ا يُوَٲرِى سَوۡءَٲتِكُمۡ وَرِيشً۬اۖ وَلِبَاسُ ٱلتَّقۡوَىٰ ذَٲلِكَ خَيۡرٌ۬ۚ ذَٲلِكَ مِنۡ ءَايَـٰتِ ٱللَّهِ لَعَلَّهُمۡ يَذَّكَّرُونَ (٢٦)
TAFSEER BY FARHAT HASHMI (www. alhudapk.com)
Allah SWT has sent down (nazil) the command of covering our self with libaas,
This has two meanings:
1. Wearing of clothes or covering our bodies is a command from Allah.
2. Allah has sent down rain from above and such things grew on earth that allowed human beings to make clothes from it.
Everything that we wear, is called libaas, thus Allah commanded us to wear clothes and put that in our fitra
Reasons for using Libaas:
1. Libaas covers our private parts of our body, i.e. those parts that we should not show to each other (modesty)
2. Libaas is also to decorate our self and to attain beauty. Without clothes we may not look attractive and beautiful.
Hadith: Rasool Allah PBUH used to make this dua while putting on clothes (translation)
“Thanks to Allah that he has given me a libaas which makes me look handsome amongst people and allows me to cover my privacy. The libaas of taqwa is the better khair.”
The libaas that covers and beautifies our inner spirituality is better.
He pointed to his heart indicating that the libaas of taqwa is inside (pointing to his heart)
There are two types of ayaat:
1. Hukums or commandments
2. Signs of Allah
Libaas fulfils both, it is a commandment to wear clothes to protect, comfort and beautify us in a dignified and modest manner, and it is also a sign from Allah so that people should understand.
Reference: Etiquette of Libaas: Minhaj muslim (Urdu version) page: 225 (could someone with access to the Urdu version please send this article to me or post it in the comments thanks!)
A plucked hen looks ugly, and so does a human looks ugly and undignified without clothes; However Shaitan has made it seem attractive for human beings to appear in states of undress. His goal is to make Adam (AS) progeny look stupid, disobedient and undignified.
A woman or man who does not wear libaas fulfilling the pre requisites that have been commanded by Allah SWT then he or she is disobeying Allah SWT.
Allah SWT has not stopped humans from wearing beautiful clothes, but the pre requisites need to be fulfilled i.e. the reasons for wearing clothes: modesty and beauty.
Allah SWT gave human beings the intellect to design clothes or covering for their bodies that fulfilled the purposes of modesty (covering the private areas) protection, comfort, and dignified beauty
Libaas e taqwa:
This may be the outward clothes that reflect the piety and God consciousness of the person
sometimes the inner things in the heart, which are ugly, need to be cleansed and adorned with the inner libaas of taqwa. When one cleanses, beautifies and adorns ones heart with taqwa then the outer libaas becomes beautiful because it reflects the inner beauty.
Unfortunately people may just look for outer beauty and many times it is fake amd wears out quickly as it is not a reflection of true inner beauty. Thus one should look for inner beauty and its outer reflection, and not be misled by a fake outer beauty that does not reflect the inner beauty of the person.
The libaas of taqwa, has emaan as its basic thread.
Surah Hujaarat (not sure which ayah, please tell me if you know it): “Allah has put the love of emaan in your hearts and has decorated your hearts with emaan”
The message: Believe in humility and empty our self of takabbur, and adorn the libaas of taqwa
Libaas or covering of the body is not an accidental invention. Allah SWT sent down rain to grow plants (jute, cotton etc) insects (silk worm) and animals (skins) to provide human beings the resources to use as a covering for their bodies
Allah SWT commanded us to cover our bodies, He only tells us to do things, which are good for us and avoid things that are harmful for us:
Thus by commanding us to wear clothes the following are accomplished:
1. Clothes hide the ugly parts of our bodies
2. Clothes hide beautiful parts of our bodies that arouse sexual desires in the opposite sex, thus we can be discriminating and share those parts selectively with someone who is going to commit to stay with us and fulfill the covenants of an agreement called marriage, thus ensuring safety, protection, and respect.
3. Showing those parts (private parts) to the general public may arouse the following types of sentiments in the onlooker:
• Disgust (if they are not attracted to that particular type of body)
• Sexual attraction: irrespective of the possibility of a continuous relationship based on mutual respect and commitment.
• Envy: If that person is not available
• Anger: If that person is not responsive
• Violence: if that person to whose body one is attracted is not cooperative
• Murder: if Shaitan fulfils his aim to push the child of Adam over the brink
• Confusion and anxiety: if a child sees nakedness early in the developmental stages when the sense of sexuality has not yet developed in him or her.
• Arrogance: if one flaunts ones body with the idea that one’s body is better than others.
• Deceit: If one uses ones body to achieve other gains.
4. Clothes beautify our outer selves if we dress using the covenants provided, including modesty.
5. Clothes can only beautify our outer self to the casual onlooker but the true lasting beauty is reflected in the outer clothes of someone practicing taqwa, someone who is always aware that he or she has to please Allah SWT in everything one does and stay away from all that displeases him.
6. Clothes are provided to us from the bounties of Allah SWT that he creates in Nature via all the natural resources mentioned above.
How do you choose what to wear? Here are some ideas!